St. John’s Wort is an effective herb for mood support; however, it works through the CYP3A pathway and is therefore contraindicated with many pharmaceutical drugs and supplements.
Venetron, a patented, purified, powdered extract of Apocynum venetum, has some of the same active constituents as St. John’s Wort, but does not affect the CYP3A pathway. In addition, it is more potent and therefore requires a lower dose (just 50 mg per day). Standardized to contain at least 4% hyperoside and isoquercitrin, Venetron has been shown in several placebo-controlled human clinical trials to:
- Promote a positive outlook*
- Alleviate occasional stress*
- Improve sleep quality*
These results confirm the findings of earlier animal research.
Mechanism of Action
Venetron is believed to exert its effects in the following ways:
- Reducing secretion of chromogranin A, a stress marker*
- Working in synergy with GABA, whose main function is to calm brain excitation*
- Increasing serotonin levels, thereby boosting mood*
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration.